Saturday, March 1, 2008
Stiff by Mary Roach
If your at all familiar with Mary Roach (author of a 2 page article each month in Reader's Digest) you'll know this book will have a humorous side despite it's subtitle, "The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers." This is my pick for my book club. It's a bit odd and out of the norm compared to the typical books we read, but I've reviewed it and it's a fun read. Plus, I think it will provide some great discussion. She does a great job delving into all areas where cadavers are used and the purpose of using them rather than something less "offensive." She also does a good job balancing the morbid with her sense of humor. It makes you think about what you might want to have done to your body once you are gone and gives some very interesting options. I've never been much of one for a burial and this further confirmed my thoughts on it. The process the body goes through when decaying - being eaten from the inside out by all sorts of organisms and then liquifying - is disgusting. The donation and scientific side is much more appealing to me. I know I will always be grateful to Mary and ??? (I can't remember the male's name) for planning ahead and letting us explore their bodies in my college anatomy class. It was a very respectful atmosphere and an absolutely amazing view that the average person doesn't usually get to see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment