We had an interesting question at our book club meeting regarding a recurring line, "...every family is a ghost story." This refers to how the dead can sit at our table long after they are gone. The discussion went the way of most people saying that everyone has a specific person as a "ghost" in their past. I don't know that I agreed with that so much. I think that we all have voices that speak to us and we may put them into that "ghost" from our past category, but I don't think just one person can fill the role of that "ghost." I think we take so much from the people in our lives and are constantly recreating the "ghost." As we go we can choose to listen to our current "ghost" or try a different path and see what voices we can remove or add to our "ghost." I'm not sure I really care for the term ghost either, but that's how it's presented in the book so I'll stick with it here.
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
For One More Day by Mitch Albom
A short, sweet book about a depressed guy who wants to kill himself, but ends up spending one last day with his deceased mother. Odd concept, but it works in this book. He learns about himself and his mom and is able to get his life back on track, but not fairy tale spectacular.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment