Monday, February 9, 2009

Expecting Adam by Martha Beck

An amazing, true story about a couple's journey during the time they were expecting to deliver a baby with Down's Syndrome. A young Harvard couple deeply ingrained with an intellectual, ivy league mentality defy almost all their mentors and friends who advise them to terminate the pregnancy of their baby who has tested positive for Down's Syndrome. This book mostly chronicles their emotions and experiences during the nine months as well as looking at some happenings before and after the birth of Adam. Most will find it unbelievable at times, but after my experiences of the past three years I didn't think twice about events she wrote in here. The book did leave me with two questions I am still trying to answer: 1) After all these supernatural experiences how could she not believe in God? or 2) After all these supernatural experiences does she have an understanding of God's love and thus a love for him that most "Christians" will never experience or understand? Martha Beck is a leading "Life Coach" but I am unable to glean, from any of her websites, what her religious beliefs are.

No comments: